Hong Kong

I used the Malaysian holiday of Wesak to venture to Hong Kong. I was graciously hosted by Wendy, who was diagnosed with Addison's Disease in 2012. Until Wendy picked me up from the airport, she had never met another living with Primary Adrenal Insufficiency in person. Knowing that you are not alone in your journey is powerful.

Katie, Theo, Wendy, and I at before we went to the Night Market.
We discussed the differences in health care between America, Hong Kong, the UK, and Malaysia. Each country definitely has good and bad. In the end, we realized that we just need one kind and compassionate doctor that is willing to work with us and understands that treatment for Adrenal Insufficiency cannot be purely textbook.

Dinner.
We discussed how we can gain insight with how well we are doing by noticing how our animals behave around us. Both Max and Mig (my olive thief cat) are able to detect when our cortisol levels begin to drop. This has helped me out numerous times when living alone. I know of others within the Adrenal Insufficiency community that have seen similar behavior with their rabbits and dogs.

I found a wig! And a cat named Max!
Max clearly did not share the same level of excitement as me.
Although we live with this disease, we do not need to manage it in isolation. I rely greatly on trusted family and friends, and even my cat to help me when I begin to fade. I communicate daily with others in the Adrenal Insufficiency community to share experiences and learn. We do not need to walk this journey alone.

If you do feel alone in your journey, send me a facebook message so I can connect you with a thriving online support group. May we all fight daily to remain Clearly Alive.

One of my purchases from the night market.

Labels: , ,