Saturday, November 26, 2016

The House: The Roof

We bought this house knowing that there were minor issues with the roof. The previous owners had used mastic inappropriately with some of their DIY installations. The inspections before closing warned us to watch for leaks.

Photo from the inspection report.

Photo from the inspection report.

The Goals:

  • Remove the mastic in the valleys of the roof.
  • Replace the flashing with a self-sealing membrane.
  • Redo the shingles in the valleys.
  • Fix. The. Leak.

My husband was attempting to get a picture of the water and mud underneath the mastic and the shingles. The nail rusted out from water damage and all the brown stuff on the aluminum flashing is very wet mud.


The Timeline:

We realized that we needed to work on the roof sooner rather than later after a large rain storm in October. Once he set his mind to it, my husband was able to finish the work in under two weeks but more importantly - before another winter storm hit.

Mastic should not be used to stop leaks in the valley of the roof.
It cracks. And then leaks.
He started on the roof November 7th, 2016. 
He sent me the "Completed!" text on November 16th, 2016.

The Work in Progress

I am incredibly thankful for my husband's friends who volunteered their time in order to complete this project before the really bad weather came. I am also grateful that my grandfather was able to advise and coach my husband. We come from a long history of very handy handy-men, and it makes me proud to carry on that tradition.

Talking about the leak in the valley.
The left side of the house is an addition.
It is not the same color green.
This is going to continuously bother me.




Removing the mastic.
In order to properly seal all leaks, they had to remove enough shingles so that eighteen inches of bare plywood on each side of the valley was exposed. I was informed that this took a great deal of work.

New sealing to hopefully eliminate the leak.
Instead of replacing the roof valleys with new aluminum flashing, my husband followed my grandfather's recommendation and used a self sealing membrane called "Peel and Stick."

Before: Mastic was used to seal this sewer vent pipe.

After: My husband replaced the boot and the flashing around the pipe so that it would not leak.

Before: Random sewer vent pipe...

Before Continued: That random sewer vent pipe actually led to ... nothing.
We believe it was an artifact of an older bathroom remodel.

After: Pipe remove and hole sealed up with aluminum before being covered with flexible flashing.
No leaks!

Must finish before the really cold weather, and the rain and snow!

Shingle carnage.

The Results


I am quite witty with my answers to his questions.

We are ready for winter! Well, we are more ready for winter. We will be actually ready for winter when we get heat to the back side of the house and the pilot light on the furnace doesn't randomly shut off. But we shall celebrate one finished project at a time.

No more leaks in this valley!

3 comments:

  1. Nice work, guys! It looks great :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't wait for y'all to be able to see it in person! Don't know when that will happen, but I know that it will happen.

      Delete
  2. It looks like you had your work cut out for you with repairing the roof, but it also sounds like your husband had the job under control. Using a self sealing membrane is a great idea, and I think the membrane will hold for a long time. I am glad you were able to repair the roof before winter hit.

    ReplyDelete