Of Buddhas and Naps: Thailand, Part 3

We booked our tour guide for two days of private tours. Day one was reserved for Tigers and Elephants. Day two was for a floating market, a train market, and the Grand Palace. Thankfully, it did not begin with another 4:30 am wake up call.

Husband and I at the floating market.
Although the floating market was fascinating, it was definitely a tourist trap. I absolutely abhor bartering and haggling at markets. Give me an honest price and an honest answer and I will make an honest transaction. Do not shove things in my face. Do not continue to shout at me as I walk away from your booth. My Adrenal Insufficiency does not appreciate sensory overload. Needless to say, I walked away from the market and let my husband purchase our small souvenirs.

At the second market. The market is literally located on top of the train tracks.
Once we left the floating market, we headed towards the train market. This was not geared for tourists, but rather it was the local grocery store. Fresh herbs and vegetables were for sale right beside raw frogs and large shrimp. It was so bizarre to watch the market be torn down and then instantly set back up as soon as the train passed. Pictures do not do the market justice, so I have included a video.


After the train market, we visited the famous Reclining Buddha. The three days of adventuring in the Thailand heat were starting to really take a toll on me. It is worth noting that even my husband was growing exhausted.

At the Reclining Buddha.
If you ever want to know how I am feeling, observe my eyes.
We then headed towards the Royal Palace. We took a brief air conditioned break as we went through a silk museum. With my Adrenal Insufficiency, I must be extremely mindful of the heat. I can quickly get overheated and dehydrated.

In front of another temple after the silk museum.
You can see it in my eyes how I am continuing to fade.
By the early afternoon, I was becoming increasingly nervous. Thailand was incredibly hot and humid. I tried to continue to be pro-active about hydration, food, and extra HC but we still ended up calling off the tour early and heading back to the hotel. I had a headache that was rapidly turning into a migraine.

My eyes tell you I am at the point of collapse.
We needed to head back to the hotel asap.
I was in bed by 4:00pm. I felt beyond awful that I did not have the strength to say goodbye to our wonderful tour guide. I barely had the strength to pop a zofran and some extra HC. My husband ended up going out that night to celebrate his birthday with my coworker. They had a nice steak dinner with a few other friends. I nibbled on half a rice cake in between my naps.

When our tour guide saw how sick I looked, she gave me these smelling herbs from her purse.
It did alleviate some symptoms as I desperately waited for the zofran to kick in.
Ignore the Olive Thief in the background.
Although I was unbelievably disappointed that I could not join my husband for his birthday dinner, I could not dwell on that. I purposefully chose to focus on highlights instead of dwell on my limitations. I rode an elephant! I walked a tiger on a leash! I saw a train market! We ate absolutely amazing food! Could I participate fully in every single activity? No. Did I have to adjust my plans and cancel some activities in order to keep me functioning and out of the hospital? Yes. But that is ok.

Before our flight to Malaysia, at the Airport. I was feeling much better!
You can see it in my eyes.
We left Thailand on an afternoon flight the next day. We made it safely back to Kuala Lumpur without any IV's at the airport or other scary adventures. Throughout the entire trip, I paid attention to the smaller signs that my Adrenal Insufficiency gave me. I had my husband constantly watching out for me. We took proactive steps through hydration, extra steroids, and calling off activities early. I proved to myself and to the world that I was still Clearly Alive with my broken adrenal glands.

Goodbye Thailand!
It was an absolutely amazing trip.

Read Part One.
Read Part Two.

Labels: